Wednesday, September 9, 2015

John I. Burton's new chess club

On September 3rd in the school's library, I had the opportunity to interview our chess club sponsor, Mrs. Wampler, about her newest undertaking: The Chess Club. I proposed this interview to her to find out more information about the new club. The chess club began this year when a student named Tyler Ingle proposed this idea to her.

When asked why she chose to host the chess club, Mrs. Wampler replied: "I had no special reasoning; I just wanted to give students who wished to play chess the satisfaction of playing during the activity period." When I asked how many students attended the chess club, her response was: "There was a rough estimate of ten students." I then asked if she wished the chess club had more resources. She responded, "I wish that there were more boards so that more students can play at one time, and I also would not mind if more students joined."  Finally, I asked for a piece of advice she wished to share for students who want to join chess club.  She advised, "If a student wishes to join, come in the library during the activity period and be prepared to watch and learn."

I overall enjoyed this interview with Mrs. Wampler. She gave very important information about the chess club. I would recommend to anyone that is not part of any existing club to join them in the library on the last Friday of the month during the activity period. You will not regret it.