Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Getting to know Mr. Lawson

Today, I met with Mr. Lawson, a new teacher at John I. Burton this year.  I interviewed him about his new career at our high school.  Mr. Lawson is 23 and he teaches biology and anatomy. He went to Mountain Empire for two years and UVA wise for three.  His hobbies include golfing and playing video games.

Mr. Lawson was inspired to become a teacher by his fourth grade teacher.  He wanted to be a teacher to make a difference in students lives, like his fourth grade teacher did in his.  While talking to Mr. Lawson, I asked him what advice he would give to anyone who wanted to have a teaching career;  he replied with, "Teaching is not for everyone, work hard and learn the subject you want to teach well."

As we were speaking, Mr. Lawson told me that the hardest thing about teaching teenagers is getting them to take class seriously.  He also said his favorite aspect of  teaching is getting to meet new people and learning how to have an effect on their lives by teaching them.  Mr. Lawson graduated from Powell Valley, so in the future he would like to teach at Union High School, but he is still very happy with his job at John I. Burton.

In closing, I learned a lot about Lawson in my short interview with him. I can tell his personality is what sets him apart from many other  teachers in general. If you have the chance, I suggest you pay him a visit in his classroom; you definitely will not regret it!