Thursday, September 27, 2018

Bring Back "Crazy Hat Day" to JIB!

A Dr. Seuss-theme "crazy hat"
by Mary Tootill, sophomore

Crazy Hat Day was an annual tradition when I was growing up in NEMS. All grades from Pre-K through third grade participated in the competition. The hats were based on any book the student wanted to use. 

Teachers from different grades were the judges of the hats the children created. Every grade had a first place, second place, and third place winner, and the remaining children in the grade received a participation award. 

I remember staying up late into the night with my parents when I was in elementary school making my hat. It was something very special to me when I was little, and I always looked forward to it. I even received third place once with a hat a based on"Horton Hears a Who!" by Dr. Seuss. Besides making the hat, it was even more fun seeing everyone else's hats and the books that went along with them. It was a great way to be exposed to new books and to get the children interested in reading.

I believe that this would be a wonderful addition made to the high school. It would be an amazing way to promote the students to work more with the arts and with a hands-on activity. "Crazy Hat day was a time to promote creativity and project building," says Shealin Pruitt.

Moreover, the students could base their hats on more complex books than we did in elementary school, which would make it a lot more interesting.

Crazy Hat Day would also bring all of the students together and create a feeling of nostalgia in everyone who participated in the competitions during elementary school. "It brought all of us together and inspired us to be creative," said Hunter Coffey.