Tuesday, October 2, 2018

"The Nun" Doesn't Run with the Rest

(Movie Review) by Keaton I., senior

Going into the movie The Nun, I had high expectations, along with my friends, since it was another movie in The Conjuring series; however, I was wrong. According to the Rotten Tomato website,  which I checked before I saw it, it only scored 26 out of 100 and had many bad reviews. They are many great movies that have low scores from Rotten Tomato, though, so I had decided to watch it anyway. Big mistake.

The movie is about a nun who is possessed from a past event. The movie starts out with a guy finding a nun who committed suicide at the monastery because the possessed nun scared her. The guy and two others go into the monastery to try and to cleanse the place from the nun.

Classified as a horror movie, the movie didn't suffice since it only scared me once. It was very repetitive as it had many long, dark hallways or a cemetery in every scene.  Most of the dialogue that was supposed to be scary just turned out to be corny, poorly written, and confusing.

I don't really recommend this movie even though I tried to enjoy it. The only way I think the movie should be watched is just as an excuse to hang out with friends. I would buy this movie only if it came in a variety pack with all the titles of The Conjuring series in it.

The Nun didn't follow the greatness of The Conjuring movies. The best part was at the end when they connected it with The Conjuring, but that was it. This movie is only a movie to tie up loose ends for The Conjuring series, and it wasn't entertaining, so that's why I would rate it a 3 out of 10.