Friday, October 10, 2014

The color war rebellion

Over the past week, signs have been going up all over the building to announce the dress up days for homecoming week.  While I am sure you have noticed these posters, you may not have noticed the markings that continue to be placed on these signs. It would seem that seniors are not too happy with their assigned color, for color war day: PINK. On many of the signs, seniors have crossed out the word pink and written black. Although I am not a huge fan of pink, I am somewhat curious as to the reasoning behind this rebellion. Do they want some choice of what they should wear? Maybe they should have a choice. They are seniors, so this is their last year here at Burton. My curiosity led me to get some opinions on the matter from a few of our seniors.

Zachary S. said, " I think seniors should choose their own color. A lot of people do not even own pink clothes, and a lot of guys surely do not." Olivia D. said " A lot of people do not have any pink to wear, but everyone has a lot of black." Adrianna S. gave us her opinion: " Since no other grade has black, I do not think it should be a problem. We are seniors so we should be able to pick." Allison R. said, " I feel like the seniors should have their own opinion on what color they want to wear their last year of high school." Ultimately, it seems out of everyone I interviewed, the seniors feel that should be able to select their own color for color war day.

I think it is safe to say the seniors are indeed rebelling against this color catastrophe. I support it because they are standing up for something they believe they should have. The seniors believe they should have some sort of choice in the matter. I am amazed at their dedication, but I am not sure vandalizing the posters was necessary.  At this point, the seniors' assigned color for color war day remains pink; it has been decided that the faculty will wear the color black on color war day.