Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Banned books on the shelf

This week is National Banned Books Week.  Librarian, Mrs. Poteet, has created a display of the commonly banned books, just inside the library door.  The bookshelf includes:  "Harry Potter," "The Diary of Anne Frank," "The Giver," "Speak," and many more.  She states that this display is a way incite student curiosity about why books are banned.

Books frequently land on the "Banned Book List" because people believe that the material inside the book is too mature for a younger audience.  Poteet disagrees with prohibiting certain books in schools.  She emphasized, "I think that a lot of times things are banned because people are afraid... I think its up to the students to decide. I think a lot of times the things that make us afraid are the things that we need. We need ideas that challenge us."

Mrs. Poteet's library assistant, Torie A., also proclaimed that she opposes the idea of banning books. She stated,  "I think that I get to chose what I read... I do not think I should take someone else's right to read something away just because I disagree with it." Mrs. Poteet and Torie A. are pleased to be in a school system that allows students to be able to choose what they read.

Written by: Makayla M. and Paloma B.