Friday, September 9, 2016

Farewell Don Barnes

Don Barnes, one of J. I. Burton's janitors, was recently hired at the beginning of March 2016, but students and employees at Burton High School are already planning on saying their goodbyes.  He is not going to be at Burton much longer.  Mr. Barnes is leaving on September 9, 2016. Don has accepted a new position as a janitor at Ridgeview  because it is closer to his home and it will give him more time to spend with his wife.

While at John I. Burton, Don worked diligently in order to keep the first floor clean and make John I. Burton presentable to the public.  Don said he took this job because he was ready for a new journey.  He emphasized, "I have been honored to work here at John I. Burton. John I. Burton has been the best high school I have been to because they have a wonderful staff and kind students."  Don has been well-liked here at Burton High School; Mrs. Poteet, John I. Burton's librarian, said, " Don was a fantastic janitor and was great at his job.  He was always around to help with National Honors Society when I needed him.  Don will be missed and I wish him luck on his new job, Ridgeview is going to be very lucky to have him."

Don was originally from Harlan, Kentucky; he later attended  school in Tennessee.  Prior to being a janitor, Don was a pastor and worked at a swimming pool company. Don pursued the janitorial position here at Norton after he saw the opening advertised.  Some of his favorite things to do include reading the bible and being with his family. He is a very godly man, Don says, "The thing that keeps me going while cleaning is the bible verse Colossians 3:22-33."  He will be sincerely missed by everyone here at John I. Burton.  John I. Burton wishes you the best, Mr. Barnes!

Written by:  Kim H.