Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Balancing high school and a part time job

Cell phone bills, new clothes, car payments and insurance all cost money. When these factors become an everyday necessity, being a teenager and relying on your parents for money starts to become burdensome. Your needs as a teenager in high school are much more expensive than your needs were as a student in grade school. Most teenagers today, have gotten jobs while being in high school to compensate the need for money. Having a job allows teenager to earn their own money and learn job skills for their future.

Two summers ago, at the age of 15, I decided I needed to start making some extra money for my expenses, so I applied for a job at a local fast food restaurant. I learned how to fill out an application, get references, and interact during an interview. It was just my luck that I got hired. 

At my job, I learned how to work with the public. I knew some of my co-workers, since it was a local restaurant. However, I soon realized how different it was being behind the register rather than being the customer. I also quickly learned how cruel customers could be to employees. 

Although having a job as a teenager is highly beneficial, jobs take up time. Choosing between going to work or hanging out with your friends is a difficult decision. Furthermore, choosing to be employed while continuing to balance school work can be a hassle.  

Although having a job in high school is very difficult to manage, I made the decision to sacrifice some of my time in order to prepare for my future. In my opinion, the decision to have a job while being a full time student is defiantly worth it, if you are ready for the commitment. To all teenagers in high school who are wanting a job, please make sure you are prepared for what is ahead of you. Trying to juggle both work and school can be a very difficult task to accomplish. 

If you are a student trying to decide whether to get a job or not and you need some advice about the situation please feel free to contact me. My email is sadriannaaa@gmail.com.