Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The eighth grade transition

Every seventh grader is told: "You better watch out! Those seniors will stuff you in a locker! You won't last a day in high school!" But, do these common statements hold any real truth? Most eighth graders have no clue what's in store for them until they are actually put into high school. As an eighth grader you have to transition from a classroom style  where everything is laid out for you to one where you must be mainly self sufficient. Most eighth graders will have to try to do this quite quickly to try to keep their grade averages up. I recently interviewed several of our eighth grade students and my personal favorite eighth grade reading teacher: David LoBiondo. All of the students had very interesting comments about their experiences so far as eighth graders and the huge transition that has to be made when coming into high school. 

Devon W. said "Eighth grade is hard compared to the elementary school. They helped us with everything there." Another student, Aaron M. said, "The eighth grade has been tough for me. It's been a big transition, but I feel I will do well here."  Mike C. said our eighth grade teachers prepare us to take on more difficult challenges that we will face after eighth grade.  I personally experienced what a challenge the eighth can be only two years ago.  I went through the eighth grade with Mr. LoBiondo; I feel he helps better prepare students for the high school experience. Mr.LoBiondo helps all of his students with their writing skills and note taking skills.  He also works with his students to help them communicate with their peers and be respectful to their teachers.  

Personally, as an eighth grader, I had a tough time transitioning from the seventh grade to the high school.  I struggled with writing essays quite a bit because I had never written one. I also had trouble with having an extra fourth class, different from three classes at the elementary school. Both of these things got easier with time and help from the teachers. My advice for eighth graders would be to keep an open mind to all of these changes and to put your best foot forward.