Friday, May 9, 2014

The Beekeeper's Son: Part Two

The following is the second excerpt from a short story written by Olivia Lowery inspired by stories told by her Grandmother when she was young. The Beekeeper’s Son takes its roots from Appalachian folklore about old magic and the healing powers of things that came from nature. The main character and narrator, Violet, is loosely based off of Olivia’s grandmother who shares the character’s name. The original Violet grew up in the old Needmore area near Thacker’s Branch in Norton, Virginia in the twenties and thirties. The stories she told Olivia as a child have inspired many of Olivia’s unpublished works. 



The Beekeeper's Son: Part Two

The forest was darker here, not even a bird sang under the tall pines. I felt suddenly anxious and misplaced as we approached a clearing in the underbrush. A half rotten tree lay across the moss covered ground; a low hum like static could be heard under our breathing. Eli sat the potato sack at his feet and emptied its contents quietly. I recognized none of his beekeeping tools in the dirt in front of me. His brow furrowed in immense concentration as he fumbled for something in his pockets.

“Stand back,” he whispered, picking up a mason jar full of an unidentified liquid.

I took a few steps back and watched him walk to the fallen tree, his steps light even on the leaves surrounding the clearing. His concentration never broke as he gathered a pile of leaves beside the tree, poured the liquid from the mason jar over them and set fire to them with the matches he fished from his pocket. The pile of leaves caught flame with enthusiasm but within seconds, it stifled out leaving clouds of deep grey smoke surrounding Eli and the fallen tree. Eli, walked back to the potato sack and crouched in front of his tools. I crouched beside him, hoping for an explanation or to be put to work. After deliberation, he picked up a small dinner bucket and stood again. By now, the low hum had gotten louder, a frenzied static that made my ears itch.

“Eli, you’re not wearin’ enough clothes to get into that bee hive,” I whispered, my eyes surveying his faded button up shirt and worn out trousers.

“These are my bees, Violet,” he replied his eyes filling with a sense of pride, “They know better.”


I watched as Eli made his way to the fallen tree; I was puzzled by his behavior. He approached like a cat to a mouse, slow and steady. As he put more leaves on the fire, he began to hum under his breath. Some old hymn that I recognized but the words were lost in my memory. I sat stiff as a board, hoping not to draw any attention to myself.

Eli stooped down beside the tree and pulled a pocketknife from his trousers. Dinner bucket and knife in hand, he went to work. He whispered softly while he worked, coaxing his bees. When he didn’t whisper, he hummed, and when he didn’t hum, he whispered. Curious as to what he was doing, I stood, trying to catch glimpse of Eli’s craft. Eli had his hands elbow deep in that fallen tree. Bees flew about him but did not sting, and he sat there smiling. I slowly tip-toed to his side hoping the bees wouldn’t mind.

Up close, the situation wasn’t as calm as it seemed from my previous position on the ground. I knelt beside Eli. The bees in the hive were making a racket while they flew around my head. A few even landing and crawling through my hair. I shook ferociously to make them fly off.

“They won’t sting you,” Eli assured me in a whisper.They know your Mother is sick.”

Just then, Eli pulled his hand from the tree. With his hand came a mass of honeycomb accompanied by at least a hundred bees. Eli was not bothered as they crawled up his arm and flew about his head. I had never been fond of insects, especially bees. Eli, on the other hand, seemed to be perfectly at home as he drew an arm covered with his bees close to his face and gently blew, causing them to vacate back into the hive. Eli blew on the honeycomb before dropping it into the dinner bucket.

Handing me the bucket, he ushered me away before quickly returning to his supplies on the other part of the clearing. In a rush, he covered the fire while humming and made his way back to where I was sitting. The bees were calming down now; the static sound was becoming softer and less frantic. They knew that it was over; Eli would be taking no more honey today.

Eli gathered his supplies in a hurry and motioned for me to follow. I hurried back the way we came behind him before he finally turned at sat down on the musty forest floor.

“Well,” he said on an exhale, “That’s that.”

I looked at him, my mind filling with questions but no words came out.

“What was all that?” I asked.

“Violet, beekeepin’ has been in my family for years and years,” he struggled with an explanation, “I can’t tell you why I have to do all that stuff, but it works. The bees just know me.”

“How do bees know you?”

“They just do.”

“But, I don’t understand, Eli. How do they know you?”

“I don’t know how it happens; it just does. It’s just a fact.”

“Bees can’t know anythin’; they’re bees Eli.”

“But they do, Violet. They know.”

He took the dinner bucket from me and a spoon from the sack he had laid beside him. He started to work on the honeycomb. Pressing down on the honeycomb until the golden honey oozed out and gathered in the bottom of the bucket.

“Eli, how did the bees know my Momma was sick?” I asked, watching the honey in the bucket.

“I told ‘em.” he said, uninterested.

“You told 'em?”

“Violet,” he said looking right into my eyes, “I always tell the bees. The bees have to know their honey ain’t being taken for greed. If you tell the bees, they won’t sting.”

I stared at the crushed up honeycomb in the dinner bucket. I thought about Momma and the how she thought this honey was her cure and I thought about Eli, who believed his bees were magic. I almost wished I could believe it too. 

Eli pulled an empty glass jar from his sack and poured the honey from the dinner bucket into it, dropping half the comb in the jar with it before capping it. The other part of the honeycomb he split between us. I chewed mine slowly, savoring the flavor and enjoying the sensation of the honey spilling into my mouth.

Eli stood and began walking again, and I followed, happier going down the trail then I was coming up. I was humming now, the same song Eli used for the bees. Eli turned his head and smiled at me. I was no longer uncomfortable with our silence as we walked. The sun was beginning to peek from behind the clouds, and the sound of our honeycomb chewing was louder than the bird’s song. Mason jar full of Momma’s honey in hand, I walked briskly but freely behind Eli reaching out to touch tree limbs and other blooming plants. 

“How come this land ain't owned by the company?” I asked offhandedly, thinking about the coal mines located just several miles to the east of our current location.

“They tried to buy it, but Pa said no,” Eli replied, simply, “They can’t take every bit of land for those mines. It ain’t right. I don’t care how bad we need the coal.”

I was shocked; no one in town ever talked ill of the coal mines. Eli seemed disconnected from the poverty that surrounded home. We reached Eli’s cabin in a short time, but I wasn’t ready to leave. Now the idea of going home so soon made me want to run into the forest with Eli again. I wanted to spend more time with his bees. The idea of my old cat and my sisters didn’t seem as inviting now, but the boys would be back from the mines soon and Momma needed to be out of bed by that time. I followed Eli all the way back to his porch before I reached for the money Momma gave me from pocket of my day dress.

“Eli,” I said softly, “Thank you for the honey.”

Eli came to stand on the step above me, looking straight into my eyes. I looked around nervously, slightly embarrassed of my backwards tendencies. My face was hot, I knew I was turning red again.

“Of course, Violet.” He replied with a voice smooth as silk.

I held out the handful of silver coins that had come from my pocket to Eli. He shook his head and covered my hand with his.

“No.” he said with a half-smile, “It's a get well gift, for your Momma. Take it.” 

I took the jar of honey from his hand and noticed how our fingers brushed against each other on the cool glass of the jar. We held our hands there for a moment, Eli kept looking into my eyes. The wind picked up slightly and sent a chill up the skirt of my dress. I shivered.

“Well, better be getting’ home soon,” I said quickly, praying that my face would return to its normal coloration, “Momma will be wantin’ this honey and there’s no dinner made, and lord, I can’t even imagine how much laundry needs to be done.”

He nodded but didn't move. He had a calm expression in his eyes, a softness that implied he had something more to say. He was thinking again, but I wasn’t sure what about. The honeycomb in my mouth was starting to get soft and slimy, it had lost its flavor and texture. I nodded back to Eli and started towards the yard holding the honey close to my heart, leaving the chewed beeswax in the grass somewhere behind me. I did not look back to see if he was watching me go.

The walk home was long and lonely. My pace considerably slower than the brisk walk I has used to get to the beekeeper’s cabin. My mind wandered as I wondered, still humming the forgotten hymn, there on the dirt path back home I thought of bees, honey and the beekeeper’s son.

END PART TWO.